Artist, Musician, and Writer
Who is Emily Pothast?
Emily Pothast is a visual artist, musician and writer. She is the frontwoman of the band Midday Veil, half of the multimedia duo Hair and Space Museum, co-founder of the record label Translinguistic Other and the curator of art shows at Cairo in Seattle, WA. She's also Siren's new content strategist and social media manager!
More fun facts
- Has an MFA in printmaking from the University of Washington
- Worked as the Director of the Antique Print Department at Davidson Galleries for five years, amassing a collection of etchings, engravings and woodcuts that includes original works by Albrecht Dürer, Francisco de Goya, Wassily Kandinsky, Erich Heckel and William Blake
- Is obsessed with the history of religion in the West and gives entertaining lectures on art, religion and imperialism
- Has all the US Presidents memorized
- Was once invited on stage to do improv comedy with Yakov Smirnoff in Branson, Missouri
- Was born in Iowa, like John Wayne and Captain James T. Kirk
- Lived in Texas for twelve years and is fluent in Texan
Emily Pothast's daily questions for Siren members
Was there anything you learned while growing up that was a challenge to unlearn?
If you could own an original work of art by any artist, living or dead, who would it be and why?
Stereogum recently called Macklemore's "Spoons" the worst song of all time. Spoons aside, what do you think is the worst song ever?
What role does religion or spirituality play in your life, if any?
Describe a personal improvement or a positive change that you've made in your life.
What's the worst thing you've ever done for a job?
If you had to describe your personality in a single word, what would it be?
Haven't downloaded Siren yet? Get it to start finding meaningful connections based off Emily Pothast's questions!